Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Delectable Dinner

All month I have been anxiously waiting for Tuesday night, infamous Ivy League Connection dinner at One Market. I was worrying about it all month, thinking to myself, "What do I say? Are the alums nice? Who will the sponsors be?" To my relief, I had nothing to worry about. Right when I walked through the doors of the dining room, I felt welcomed with open arms. I had a great time meeting the many people that made this opportunity possible.

My cohort, along with one of their parents, Don, Ms. Kronenberg, and Ms. Scott, our chaperone, met at the El Cerrito Plaza BART Station at around 5:15. I had a great time socializing with our Chicago group on the 20 min train ride to Embarcadero BART station in San Francisco. As we arrived, we realized we had time to spare. My cohort and I utilized this time to walk around various shops and stores and to get to know each other better. The next thing I knew, I found myself walking through the doors of a fancy restaurant, with a group of smiling people holding out their hands for a warm handshake.

Before we sat down to eat, we took time to introduce ourselves to each of the sponsors and alumni. I had a great time talking with alumni, Eduardo Moreno and Marc Friedman. We conversed about everything I need to know about UChicago, from the dorm rooms to the climate; all while the hostess passed around delicious appetizers. Once we all got comfortable with one another, we found our seats at the tables, and I was pleased to find myself sitting next to no other than Alana Scott and Marc Friedman once again. 

The dinner commenced with various thankful acknowledgment and introduction speeches from Don Gosney, Madeline Kronenberg, Marc Friedman, and my fellow cohort mate, Tamika Whitenack. We started of our meal with a conversation of sites to see, and a salad on the side. The conversation seemed to flow smoothly between, Ms. Scott, Mr. Friedman, my father, and I. I was having a great time listening to one anothers experiences to help me in the future. The short ribs I ordered were exceptional, and I didn't think this night could have gone any better; that is until the dessert came out. I have learned so much from this experience. I am grateful for each and every individual that came out that night to support my friends and I at the University of Chicago.
UChicago Past, Present, and Future

1 comment:

  1. Brandon,

    I enjoyed spending time with you and your dad at the dinner. It will be nice getting to speak with you in English for a change.

    ReplyDelete