Friday, July 31, 2015

The Parting of Ways

Days like today make me want to go lie down and rest for a bit. Not just because I stayed up very late last night, but because today was the last day that my class would be together. We've been through a lot together, and that made it very hard to say goodbye to everyone today. 

I find goodbyes very difficult. Not necessarily because I feel emotional when the other party has to leave, but because I start wasting time and energy thinking about them a lot, and wondering what would have happened if we had gone to the same school. I'll digress a little: If you become friends with someone at a certain time in your life, what would have happened if you had met a different point in time? Would you still be friends? Maybe bitter enemies? Do you have any control over this at all? I find it wondrous that our lives are filled with such chance, but somehow everything turns out just fine. 

Today was actually very plain, but there was a strong sense of finality in the air. On the bus ride back to Chicago, nearly everyone slept or stayed extremely quiet, which added to the feeling of resignation. Finally, we got back to the dorms, where I said a quick goodbye to Dom, who was leaving to go home. After that, I just stayed in my room and prepared for the flight home tomorrow. I would have gone out, but I didn't have the energy or the time to. 

When I get up in the morning, it will be time to catch my flight back to the Bay. I'm torn between wanting to go back to my comfortable bed at home and wanting to stay here and continue the pursuit of knowledge and adventure. But no matter how I feel, we all know that it's time to return home...

Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment