Monday, July 13, 2015

Time for School

The pools are deceptively small in this photo
I have officially decided that, despite being early, 6 AM will be my wake-up time. I decided to wake up so early today to try out the campus fitness center's pool, after getting there too late yesterday evening. So, as painful as it was, I dragged myself out of bed this morning, got ready, and walked to the pool.

The fitness center looked pretty big on the outside; once I got inside I saw that this was due to having two pools, a multipurpose gym, row upon row of workout machines, several smaller rooms for fitness classes, and a space for all of UChicago's shiny sports trophies. Anyways, even though I hate taking of my shirt and showing my underdeveloped body to the world, I did so and swam for about 45 minutes.

I should take this opportunity to say that when I woke up, the sky outside had been a bit cloudy, but I didn't think anything of it. Well, I should have, because when I came out of the fitness center, it was pouring rain. After considering my options for a moment, I decided to just go for it. After walking for a block, I saw the Mansueto Library, the glass dome library. Suddenly, I saw a bright flash on the dome, and I thought, what a cool lighting effect! Only a second later did I realize that I had seen the reflection of lightning on the dome. Moments later, I heard the thunder. I was kind of freaked out, but hurried back to the dorm.

This is where I'll be spending hours every day from now on.
After a rushed breakfast, I headed to class. I was still half an hour early, but I wanted to get a good seat and meet the teachers. As it turns out, there were two teachers and one university professor acting as an adviser. I introduced myself, and sat down near the front of the class. Soon, other students came in. I saw several people I knew, and a guy I didn't know sat down next to me. His name was Dominic, and he was a commuter student. In total, there were about 15 students.

Class started, and proceeded at a rapid pace. I could barely keep up with all the terminology, but eventually got it. We learned how to use databases to find pictures of stars, and use multiple pictures to track proper movement of stars. It seemed like class passed by in an instant, and soon I had notes to take and a lab to write. 

The view from the outside the building's observatory. The round thing is a radio telescope.
Well, the first day of class was very interesting, and I look forward to class again tomorrow. I better get down to movie night. I hear they're playing The Dark Knight...

No comments:

Post a Comment